Parents of boy on no-fly list ‘really looking forward’ to travelling
It could be 18 months before mistakes end, because of work needed on data and regulatory systems
CBC News | June 10, 2016
The mother of a young boy who has been flagged as a travel risk since he was a toddler says she is “really looking forward” to travelling with ease as a family, after the Canadian government announced it has created an office to assist passengers mistakenly barred from flights.
The issue came to light last December, when six-year-old Syed Adam Ahmed was travelling with his father, Sulemaan, to the Winter Classic in Boston. Sulemaan said an Air Canada agent showed them that the boy had been flagged on the Deemed High Profile list, Canada’s no-fly list.
He apparently shared a name with someone on the list.
The boy’s parents said at the time that they had been having trouble travelling with their son for years.
On Friday, Sulemaan Ahmed and Khadija Cajee said they were “extremely pleased” with the federal government’s announcement.
. . .
The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM), a civil liberties and advocacy group, said Friday it welcomed the government’s announcement, which “is the result of the tireless efforts of the families” and other groups who have worked to raise awareness about the problem.
“Wasting resources on innocent Canadians does not make anyone feel safer nor does it actually improve public safety,” NCCM executive director Ihsaan Gardee said in a statement….