Position: Public Affairs Coordinator (Quebec)
Type: Permanent, Full-time
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Public Affairs Coordinator serves as the NCCM’s Quebec-based bilingual spokesperson and primary professional representative in Quebec. You will work closely and in consultation with senior management in executing the NCCM’s advocacy, stakeholder engagement, issues management and media relations in Quebec.
The Quebec Public Affairs Coordinator duties include, but are not limited to:
Public Affairs & Advocacy
- Develop and implement a Quebec-centred stakeholder relations strategy to strengthen awareness of and support for NCCM’s mission and services among diverse Muslim communities, community-based groups, and partner organizations.
- Devise and undertake outreach activities to engage with Quebec Muslim communities.
- In collaboration with management, develop and implement the NCCM’s Quebec-focused advocacy initiatives.
- Recommend appropriate tactics for effective advocacy on issues under NCCM’s mandate in Quebec.
- Write reports and develop briefing materials.
- Develop new and translate & deliver existing presentations, workshops, and briefings to a variety of audiences, including community activists and leaders, civil society, government and policymakers in Quebec.
- Engage stakeholders, community partners and political parties in the lead up to the Quebec provincial election.
- Monitor the political environment in Quebec and provide timely information and advice to management.
- Provide issue-based and campaign-specific public affairs support and develop key messages.
Communications & Media Relations
- Serve as NCCM’s primary French-language spokesperson.
- Work closely with the Communications Department on Quebec-specific communications including news releases, media advisories, backgrounders, op-eds, and press materials.
- Respond to and assist in cataloging all Quebec-based media inquiries and interviews in a timely manner.
- Organize news conferences and other press events.
- Monitor Quebec news media on issues relevant to NCCM’s mandate.
- Liaise and develop relationships with Quebec-based journalists, newsrooms, and editorial boards.
- Assist in developing and implementing the French-language component of NCCM’s social media strategy.
- Help develop the French-language component of the NCCM’s web site and review translations for the organization’s other marketing and communications collaterals.
- Recruit, vet and train volunteers and work with the NCCM Montreal & greater Quebec team on campaigns and events.
- Attend events, engage in travel and perform other assigned duties.
Education & Experience
- University degree in communications, journalism, political science, public policy or a related discipline.
- At least 1 – 2 years of direct experience in advocacy, media relations, or public relations.
- Solid understanding of the NCCM’s mission and mandate.
- Proven knowledge of Quebec public affairs and politics.
- Understanding and knowledge of Quebec Muslim communities.
- Demonstrable experience in and knowledge of media relations.
- Collegiality: values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility, and respect.
- Integrity: acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust.
- Problem-solving: considers a range of information and perspectives to solve problems and to recommend actions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions.
- Organizational awareness: understands and appreciates an organization’s culture and operating practices as well as the political and social climate in which the organization operates.
- Achieves results: goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through collaborative methods.
Skills & Abilities
- Bilingual fluency: advanced French & English oral and written communication abilities.
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to write in CP style.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with demonstrated judgement and problem solving.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with internal/external partners and colleagues, in a respectful and consultative manner.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Works well under pressure and takes pride in meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations.
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity in working with senior team, media, community partners, and public officials.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and excellent technology skills.
- Prior experience working with Quebec Muslim communities and other minorities.
- An existing network of contacts with Quebec civil society organizations and media.
The NCCM is committed to access and equity and is an equal opportunity employer.