COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR
Type: Part-time, salaried (fixed term)
Location: Southwestern Ontario / GTA
Application deadline: December 19, 2018
Reporting to the Deputy Director, this position is responsible for executing the organization’s targeted community relations efforts in key regions including Southwestern Ontario and the GTA, as well as Western Canada. The Community Engagement Coordinator serves as a liaison between Muslim communities and the organization, and works closely with the communications and development staff on campaigns and events, delivering programs, fundraising and general duties.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Community Engagement & Outreach (40%)
- Enhance grassroots community understanding of the NCCM’s mission and services.
- Frequently travel and engage Islamic centres, mosques, major Muslim community institutions, NGOs and grassroots communities about NCCM’s civic engagement and advocacy work.
- Represent NCCM at events across key regions as directed, and liaise and work effectively with the communities served.
- Provide an NCCM presence at community events, activities and meetings for publicity and information purposes.
- Establish and maintain key relationships with local partners and suggest projects and campaigns that bring NCCM and our regional supporters together.
- Assist in the planning and execution of special events that may include conferences, training, webinars, regional gatherings, and other events.
- Act as a liaison between NCCM and supporters, regional community leaders, & community partners.
- Identify needs of supporters and connect them with the NCCM resources they need to move forward.
- Effectively respond to requests from supporters and provide them with timely and relevant information and support.
- Communicate all matters of importance to appropriate NCCM personnel and departments in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and participate constructively in the supervision and evaluation process.
Growth & Fundraising (30%)
- Communicate regularly with supporters, donors and prospective donors.
- Create and implement opportunities for supporters to engage NCCM through programming, networking and special initiatives or projects.
- Contribute to and help coordinate the NCCM’s local and regional fundraising campaigns.
- Cultivate individual donor relationships and major donors in each key region.
- Maintain updated internal profiles on key supporters, including programming, capacity needs, level of engagement and interests.
Volunteer Management (30%)
- Actively identify and recruit new supporters and influencers for the organization’s volunteer base including regional steering committees and volunteer committees.
- Identify, recruit and establish relationships with volunteers and grow the organization’s volunteer base in key regions.
- Work with senior management to build and ensure the talent and capacity of the volunteer lifecycle.
- Maintain contact with community groups to promote interest, participation in and volunteer support for the NCCM in key regions
- Screen, on-board, coordinate and train volunteers in key regions.
- Develop and conduct orientation sessions for new volunteers.
- Assist with the continuous development of the organization’s volunteer database.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline.
- Good understanding of the NCCM’s mission and mandate.
- 1-2 years of direct experience in community relations, public relations, fundraising and/or donor relations.
- Proven experience working with Muslim communities and diverse groups.
- Relationship Builder: You are extensively familiar with Canadian Muslim communities. You thrive on meeting new people and like to foster relationships. You like learning what motivates people, what inspires their generosity and makes them feel appreciated.
- An Exceptional Communicator: You have excellent people and presentation skills. You can craft superior communications, explain complex concepts in a clear manner, and combine knowledge and intuition.
- An Effective Collaborator: You’ve successfully worked across cultural lines and you have the ability to operate in complex situations. You can easily gain trust from team members and are known for supporting them.
- Achieves Results: You’re a goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through collaborative methods.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Sound judgement and demonstrated problem-solving skills in sensitive situations.
- Ability to travel frequently.
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with internal/external partners and colleagues, in a respectful and consultative manner.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Works well under pressure and takes pride in meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations.
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity in working with senior team, staff, community partners, volunteers, and public officials.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and excellent technology skills.
- An existing network of contacts and relationships in the Muslim community in key regions (Southwestern Ontario, GTA and/or Western Canada).
Closing date is December 19, 2018