The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) is an independent, non-partisan and non-profit organization. Built from within the Canadian Muslim community, the NCCM is a leading voice for Muslim civic engagement and the promotion of human rights.
Working in partnership with grassroots communities, the NCCM engages in professional activism and develops strategies in anti-discrimination, community education & outreach, media relations and public advocacy. As a long standing Canadian organization, the NCCM has an exemplary record of defending rights and liberties, promoting active citizenship and upholding Canadian pluralism.
Our mission is to protect Canadian human rights and civil liberties, challenge discrimination and Islamophobia, build mutual understanding, and advocate for the public concerns of Canadian Muslims.
The NCCM envisions a Canada where Muslims are fully engaged, empowered and recognized as a positive force for the betterment of all.
Core Values & Guiding Principles
- NCCM believes in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and in upholding the fundamental rights and freedoms of all Canadians.
- NCCM believes that core Islamic values are aligned with and reflect Canadian values including equality, freedom, inclusiveness and justice.
- NCCM believes that Canada’s multiculturalism and the contributions of Canadian Muslims strengthen our nation’s democracy.
- NCCM believes active citizenship is the responsibility of all Canadians.
- NCCM believes in the strength through diversity of the Canadian Muslim community and is a strictly non-sectarian organization.
- NCCM strives for the equal participation of all Canadian Muslims, both men and women, and irrespective of ethnic, linguistic, or cultural background.
- NCCM believes in the value of consultation and supports the participatory aims of grassroots activism.
- NCCM believes in being respectful, civil and prudent in all of its advocacy and communications and in avoiding any conduct that displays or gives the appearance of rancour, disrespect or ill-will towards any individual or organization.
- NCCM believes there is no dichotomy between human rights and public security; rather, they share a symbiotic relationship.
- NCCM consistently and categorically condemns all acts of violence against civilians and non-combatants irrespective of the perpetrator and believes there is never any justification for terrorism.