Stand up for Canadian Muslims: Demand PMO retract and apologize for false remarks about NCCM
The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM), a prominent non-partisan Muslim civil liberties & advocacy organization, calls on supporters and fellow Canadians to contact their Members of Parliament and the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) to express their disapproval and demand an apology for a reckless and false statement made by the PMO about the NCCM earlier this year which linked the organization to a Banned Terrorist Group. For more information on what happened, read here.
Since the PMO has refused to provide any retraction and apology, NCCM has now been forced to commence a defamation lawsuit in Court against the PMO to protect NCCM’s good name and reputation.
Stand up, not just for NCCM, but for any Canadian who wishes to speak up and be heard by our elected leaders. Who will be attacked and smeared next?
Send the Prime Minister and your Member of Parliament a clear message that voices of criticism will not be silenced by baseless attacks.Peaceful dissent is a pillar of a free and democratic society. All Canadians have the right to challenge positions taken by our elected leaders without the fear of being publicly attacked.
Many of our partners have already issued public statements in support of NCCM such asAmnesty International Canada, the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, the Canadian Association of University Teachers and the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group (a coalition of over 38 NGOs, faith groups, unions, and human rights groups). We have also received support from our fellow Canadians and interfaith partners.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
- Fill in your information on the right to e-mail the Prime Minister and your Member of Parliament expressing your disapproval that the PMO defamed a prominent Canadian Muslim organization and has refused to retract its false statement.
- Follow-up with a phone call to your MPs office to express your disappointment with the PMO’s actions (to find your MP’s e-mail and phone number using your postal code check here).
- Support NCCM and help us keep working for Canadians Muslims. A defamation lawsuit can be long and expensive. Make a financial contribution today here. Remember, NCCM is zakat-eligible and is also a non-profit organization that depends on the support of Canadians like you. Communities need strong, professional institutions.
Important points to consider including in your emails and phone conversations:
- NCCM is a prominent Muslim civil liberties organization working to build bridges and promote civic engagement for 14 years in Canada (including 8 years under the current government’s watch). NCCM’sentire work is a matter of public record.
- NCCM has appeared as a witness to give expert testimony on proposed legislation (e.g. anti-terrorism laws)on many occasions before House of Commons and Senate committees. NCCM has also appeared numerous times before the Supreme Court of Canada on issues of national importance. NCCM has provided recommendations to security agencies about public safety.
- At no point in time have any members of the government raised any allegation against NCCM of supposed ties to terrorist groups until criticism was levelled against the PMO.
- The role of government is to address concerns raised by Canadians and not attack them. You will not vote for any government (regardless of political stripes) that tries to silence dissenting voices.
- Making a false allegation of terrorism ties is the most serious kind imaginable and can have serious long-term effects for both individuals and organizations and should never be made for political reasons. This is particularly true for the Muslim community in the post-9/11 age.
- The Prime Minister’s Office should issue an immediate apology and retraction and all MP’s should urge the PMO to do so.