Suspect in Edmonton attack faces terrorism, attempted murder charges
By Michelle Shephard and Julien Gignac
Toronto Star | October 1, 2017
Police and politicians urged Canadians to be vigilant, but called for calm and unity in the wake of a terrorist attack in Edmonton that injured five and led to the arrest of a 30-year-old suspect who had previously been investigated for espousing extremist views.
It is the second major terrorist attack in Canada this year, following January’s shooting at a mosque in Quebec City that killed six and injured 19.
CBC News identified the Edmonton suspect on Sunday as Abdulahi Hasan Sharif. Police and federal officials would only confirm that the man in custody is a 30-year-old refugee from Somalia and had been interviewed by the RCMP’s Integrated National Security Enforcement Team in 2015. But RCMP Assistant Commissioner Marlin Degrand said there had been insufficient evidence to charge him or issue a peace bond at the time and he was not considered a national security threat.
. . .
The National Council of Canadian Muslims quickly condemned the “senseless” attacks.
Executive director Ihsaan Gardee said that such incidents call for solidarity.
“The issue of backlash, you can’t help but think about, of course, but first and foremost our thoughts are with the victims and families,” he said. “The community stands shoulder to shoulder with all Canadians in condemning this horrific kind of act, regardless of who perpetrates them. We need to look at this together and stand united.”