#WeAreIMO Food Drive: In Honour of Mohamed-Aslim Zafis
September 12, 2021 marks one year since Mohamed-Aslim Zafis was ruthlessly killed in front of the IMO Mosque in Toronto by an individual with apparent ties to a white supremacist group.
This year, we celebrate how Mohamed lived his life by honouring his dedication to helping those in need. Mohamed was a dedicated volunteer caretaker at the IMO mosque in Toronto. He was the familiar friendly face at the door to all those who visited the mosque and was known for his quiet dedication to helping others. Before his life was taken on September 12, he was on the frontlines providing COVID-19 assistance by handing out food boxes to those who needed it the most.
We call on each and every one of you to commit to an act of kindness in his memory: participate in the #WeAreIMO Food Drive from Sept 6th – Sept 12th, 2021.
Help us carry on the legacy of Mohamed’s devotion to aid those in need and fight back against hate with acts of love and kindness.
#WeAreIMO Food Drive Drop off Locations:
- IMO, 65 Rexdale Blvd. Etobicoke, ON
- Dal al Tawheed Islamic Centre, 5550 McAdam Rd. Mississauga, ON
- Islamic Society of Markham, 2900 Denison St. Markham, ON
- Jamiat ul Ansar of Brampton, 391 Great Lakes Drive. Brampton, ON
- Dar Foundation, 485 Morden Rd. Oakville, ON
- Masjid Darul Iman, 1330 Castlemore Ave. Markham, ON
- Al Huda Institute, 5671 McAdam Rd. Mississauga, ON
- Al-Abrar Centre, 155 Edwards St. Aurora, ON
- Jaffari Community Centre, 9000 Bathurst St. Vaughan, ON
- Toronto Islamic Centre, 817 Yonge St, Toronto, ON
- Pickering Islamic Centre, 2065 Brock Rd, Pickering, ON
- The Neighborhood Organization, 45 Overlea Blvd, Toronto, ON
- The Neighborhood Organization, 7 Ann Crescent, Scarborough, ON
Do your part to stand up against Islamophobia and hate in Canada by doing these 3 things this September:
- Collect non-perishable food items at home, your school, or workplace from September 6th to September 10th. Download a poster here.
- Drop off all food donations to the participating local mosque in your community by September 10 th (find list of participating masajid above). If you are unable to collect food items, you can make a donation to Islamic Relief Canada.
- Join in on NCCM’s effort to dismantle hate-motivated violence by joining our letter writing campaign to ban the O9A, the violent hate group Mohamed’s attacker was allegedly affiliated with.
For more information on the initiative contact Nima Macci, NCCM Program Coordinator, at email@example.com