Fundraiser for Quebec man paralyzed in mosque shooting reaches $400,000 goal
By Morgan Lowrie
The Canadian Press | February 9, 2018
MONTREAL – A fundraiser launched to help finance a new home for a man paralyzed in last year’s Quebec City mosque shooting surpassed its $400,000 goal on Friday.
Aymen Derbali, a father of three, lost the use of his legs when a shooter opened fire in the mosque on Jan. 29, 2017, killing six and seriously injuring five.
Witnesses have said Derbali took seven bullets as he tried to get the gunman’s attention in order to help others flee.
Canadian Muslim organization, DawaNet, launched the fundraiser in December to help Derbali and his family pay for a home near the mosque that is adapted to his disability and his motorized wheelchair.
Reached for reaction, the executive director of the National Council of Canadian Muslims said he “couldn’t think of any better news to get on a Friday.”
“It has really shown what Canada is really about, and the values of inclusivity and acceptance and standing up to hatred and division,” Ihsaan Gardee said in a phone interview.